Tuesday, May 29, 2012

3,2,1 Go!!

     Hi, my name is Drew... welcome to my blog.  I am relatively new to the blogosphere.  Other than a few articles I have written for my buddy's Hawkeye blog (www.thehawkguys.com  check it out) I haven't really blogged much.  With that being said, lets get started shall we?

     First, let me tell you a little about myself.  I am a career firefighter/paramedic in the Des Moines Metro Area.  For privacy reasons I will not disclose the name of said fire department.  I am also a paid on call Lieutenant on a combination fire department in the metro area as well.  I have been a career FF for 2 years now and a POC FF for 5 years (3 years as an Lt).  I was introduced to the fire service in 1990 when my dad joined the local volunteer fire department back home.  I was 11 at the time and instantly fell in love with it.  As soon as I was old enough I began participating with that department as a Jr FF/explorer.  I think I made entry into my first training fire at the age of 15 or 16.  It was pretty much the coolest thing I had ever done.  After high school my career took me in a different direction and I spent about 5 or 6 years away from the fire service.  Once I got back to a place were I can join a department I jumped at the chance.  Away from the fire department I have been married to my beautiful wife Sam for almost 7 years. She is my rock and has supported me throughout my career.  Her support was a major factor in me taking the leap into a career position.  We are avid Hawkeye and Royals fans and enjoy going to sporting events when ever we can.

     So why did I start this blog?  There are several reasons really.  I enjoy writing and was looking for a place for a creative outlet.  I am seriously considered writing a book at some point but I want to hone my skills and see how this goes before I take that leap.  I would eventually like to starting doing more training outside of my departments and possibly work towards a career as a speaker in the industry.  When I started on my career it was my goal to essentially create a journal that I would log notable calls from each shift day.  I didn't get that accomplished but this blog will serve that purpose in some ways.  The biggest reason for this blog is that I believe it is important as firefighters that we pass along the information that we learn from the job to the next person.  If 1 person learns anything from this blog, then I have accomplished that goal.  Obviously I would like to reach a much larger audience than that but you have to start somewhere right?

   At this point you might be asking what this blog is going to cover.  There is no set parameters for that other than the blog will primarily focus on the fire service.  I might touch on other issues such as sports or the world in general but those will be a small portion of the content.  As far as the fire service aspect, that is a pretty broad category, anything more specific?  I don't want to limit myself and say that there will be only certain topics I will discuss.  I want to include anything from training tips, safety tips, history and tradition and current events.  As with my job, I do anything from firefighting to rescue to EMS so the blog will touch on each of these areas.  My posts will vary and evolve as I go and at some point I might find a more specific niche but at this point I will keep it broad in focus.

   So there it is, the first post of my new blog is in the books.  I know it is not much but it is a start.  I wanted to start simple and introduce myself to the world.  I hope that you enjoy the blog and any feedback is appreciated.

Stay Safe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment